Roulette, a timeless classic in the realm of casino games, boasts a captivating blend of chance and strategy. Whether you are a seasoned player or a curious novice when it comes to casino games, the allure of a Roulette table is undeniable. While it may seem like a simple game of luck as to where the small ball ends up, there is so much more that is sure to make a game of Roulette a truly unforgettable one for you. And with the option to choose from 3 different types, you can opt for the one that meets your preferences more and seems more interesting while presenting lesser risk.
So, whether you are a novice seeking guidance or a seasoned player simply looking to learn more tactics to secure better chances of winning, we tell you everything you need to know. This guide is sure to familiarize you with every aspect of the Roulette play while also telling you a few strategies that can help you increase your chances of winning that spin.
What is Roulette?: Understanding the Basics of Roulette
The origins of Roulette can be traced back to early 18th century France. The term “roulette” itself translates to “little wheel” in the French language. It is believed that the game was derived from older and popular games of Hoca and Portique, with the game being referred to as “Roulette” only in 1716 in Bordeaux. Over the years and centuries, the game has overgone multiple modifications that have led to it adopting the much-beloved format it now adopts.
However, while the methods of playing have changed, the ultimate goal of the game has stayed consistent for a long time—to predict and bet on the slot that the small ball will stop at on the spinning wheel. Players can do the same by placing wagers and bets on the Roulette board or table on the slot of their choosing corresponding to the spinning wheel. However, while this seems like purely a game of luck, which it is, what makes the game so beloved and thrilling is that you can increase your chances of winning by applying strategies and tricks. But, before getting into the strategies of winning the game, getting a complete grasp over the rules of the games and the methods of placing the bets is crucial.
Considering that the game is entirely luck-based, there are hardly any difficult rules you need to follow in order to play the game. However, what you do need is to understand the different types of Roulette, the elements of the game, the layout of the Roulette table, and the steps that the game proceeds in. This will help you ensure that you can make your bets in a timely manner.
Different Types of Roulette Games
There are majorly 3 different types of Roulette that are played all over the world. While the basic rules and elements of all 3 variations are the same, there are minute differences that make one more preferable over the other. These 3 variations are namely European Roulette, French Roulette, and American Roulette. In terms of the number of slots, European and French are the most similar with their 37-slot gameplay, while in terms of the layout of the table, European and American are the most similar.
The basic objective of an European Roulette game is also to predict which slot the ball will end up in. Before the dealer spins the wheel and lets the ball loose, the players need to place their bets on the table for their desired Roulette numbers or odds. Depending on whether the predictions and bets were on point, payouts are provided to the players who succeeded in the spin roulette.
The Roulette wheel that is used in European Roulette is a 37-slot one, with numbers 1 to 36 being presented in alternate red and black coloured slots and a green slot numbered as 0. When placing Roulette bets on the numbers in this variation of the game, players can choose between inside and outside bets depending on their expertise and available bankroll. While inside bets offer higher payouts, there is a lesser chance of winning on them, while the outside bets offer a higher chance of winning but with considerably lower payouts. So, for those new to the world of Roulette, casinos or online, or simply don’t feel lucky enough, outside bets provide a less risky option to earn some winnings.
French Roulette is considered one of the older versions of this very popular casino game. This variation follows the same wheel that is used for European Roulette as well, with 36 numbered slots in alternating black and red colors and a single green slot for the number ‘0.’ While this seems the same as the European Roulette game, what sets it apart is that certain rules can be applied during the spin to make the game more interesting.
- La Partage Rule: The La Partage rule, which directly translates to “sharing,” allows players placing even-money bets to gain additional advantage in their betting patterns. As per this rule, if the ball lands on the ‘0’ slot, then the players with losing even-money bets who chose to apply this rule are still awarded half of their betting value. This increases the winnings for the player and decreases the losses in the case of the bet not working out.
- En Prison Rule: The En Prison rule, directly transating to “in prison,” is one that is not provided in all casinos due to the benefits it provides to the players. As per this rule, players can place markers on their even-money bets, allowing them to freeze the bets in the event the ball lands on ‘0.’ Rather than the player losing the spin automatically, which would have been the case as per traditional Roulette rules, this allows the bet to be frozen for the next spin as well. In doing so, if the bet is successful in the next spin, then the player can win their original bet. The benefit in this case is that the player will not need to double their bet, which would have been necessary as per the traditional rules of Roulette.
These 2 rules allow players mitigate losses, albeit only on their even-money bets. This makes this variant of the game very popular among experts and novices alike, allowing them to experience the thrills of the game without much of the risk traditionally involved.
The goal of American Roulette is also the same as the remaining 2 variants. However, the main element that distinguishes it from the other 2 is the presence of a “00” slot on the wheel. This makes the wheel of a game of American Roulette have 38 slots instead of the common 37 slots. The ‘0’ and ‘00’ slots are placed opposite to each other and both are in green, while the remaining numbers from 1 to 36 are in the same alternating black and red colors.
The biggest benefit of this variant of the game is the added element of thrill that the additional ‘00’ slot brings. This also brings down the minimums of the table. However, the biggest disadvantage for players is the fact that it brings up the house edge significantly. This makes many players not opt for the game despite considerably high Returns to Player (RTP) ratios and the incredible variety of bets possible on the outcomes.
Understanding the Roulette Table
Now that the main distinctions between the 3 variations of the game are understood, it is time to get into understanding the layout of the Roulette table. This is crucial since bets are placed on these tables, and you need to understand where you are placing your bets in order to have higher chances of winnings.
Despite the addition of an extra ‘00’ slot, the tables for European and American Roulette games are practically identical. The numbered slots are mentioned on the table in a grid-like format in columns of 3 and 12 rows. The numbers are colored the same as on the wheel – red for the odd numbers and black for the even numbers. In European Roulette, there is just a single slot for 0 at the top, while American Roulette has the top divided into 0 and 00. Beside the numbered slots, the non-numbered bets are mentioned. You can choose to bet on the numbers in clusters of 12 (the first 12, next 12, and last 12), numbers from 1-18/19-36, even/odd, or red/black.
In the case of the French Roulette table, the same rules follow, with just the layout of the table being slightly different. Names are assigned to the different bets and the placements are different, implying you to exercise caution where to place the bets. Similarly, you also need to consider the 2 rules that can be applied in this variation, further requiring you to place your bets with caution.
Roulette Betting: Unraveling the Options
Now that you know where to place the bets, it is time to understand the different kinds of bets you can place. This is where the complexity of the game comes in, since there are over 20 kinds of bets that you can place in Roulette. However, these can be mainly divided into Inside Bets and Outside Bets.
Inside bets are the bets that are placed inside the numbers on the grid-like layout on the table. This means that if you place a bet on a specific number, rather than a wide range of possibilities, it is an inside bet. This kind of bet can also be placed on the lines between the numbers, which covers multiple bet types and ranges with ease. Here are some types of Inside bets you can place:
- Straight-up Bets: The most common type of bet in Roulette, a straight-up bet involves placing a bet on a specific number. You do this by simply placing a chip on the number you are betting on. You can also place your bet on 0 in this type of bet. Since you are not betting on a range and are putting your faith in a single number, this kind of bet leads to a considerably high payout of 35-1 due to the very low probability of that number being the one that the ball stops on.
- Split Bets: Split bets, as the name suggests, are placed on multiple numbers at once by placing the chip on a line instead of a single slot. In this kind of bet, since you are betting on two numbers at once, you win if either of the numbers wins. However, this also reduces the payout by half at 17-1 since you did not bet on that single slot.
- Street Bets: In a street bet, the number of slots you are betting on in a single bet increases even further–namely, an entire row of 3 numbers. All you need to do is place your chip on the line of the first number of the row you are betting on, so that half the chip is on the number and the other half is outside. Since you are betting on 3 numbers in this kind of bet, the payout is provided at 11-1.
- Corner Bets: Corner bets allow you to bet on 4 numbers at once. Simply place your chip on the intersection of the 4 numbers you wish to bet on and you have placed a corner bet. In this case, if any of the 4 numbers wins in the spin, then you win your wager. However, since you are betting on 4 numbers, the payout is also provided at a comparatively less value of 8-1.
- Six-line Bets: The last kind of inside bet is the six-line bet, and, as the name suggests, it allows you to bet on 6 numbers at once. Combining the betting method of street and corner bets, you need to place your chip on the junction between two numbers on the first row and the side street. For example, if you wish to place your bet on the 1st and 2nd rows, covering numbers 1-6, then you place the chip on the intersection of 1 and 4 and the space on their side. In this case, half of the chip will be outside with 1/4th on the ‘1’ slot and the remaining 1/4th on the ‘4’ slot. Since you are placing your bet on 6 numbers at once, the payout decreases even further at 5-1.
While inside bets were placed on the inside of the number grid, outside bets are placed on the outside of the grid. These are placed on the special non-numerical slots drawn on the rest of the table. Since these don’t cover any specific number and an entire range instead, the chances of winning on these bets are considerably high. However, the payouts are equally low due to the vast range of numbers it covers. Here are the kinds of outside bets you can place:
- Dozen or Column Bets: The first outside bet you can choose from are the dozen bets. As the name suggests, these bets are placed on 12 numbers at once, allowing the bets to be divided into the first 12, the middle 12, and the last 12 slots. To place a dozen bet, simply place your chip on which set of 12 numbers you wish to bet on. Since this is the only type of outside bet where the probability of winning is not 1:1, the payout for this bet is 2:1 as there is slightly higher risk involved than the other types of outside bets.
- Odd or Even Bets: In this type of bet, you simply choose to bet on whether the number that gets chosen by the ball on the wheel will be an odd number or an even number. In French Roulette, the even slot can be mentioned as “pair” while the odd slot can be mentioned as “impair.” If you have bet on odd numbers and an odd number comes up, then you win the bet. What you need to keep in mind is that since there is an almost 50% chance of winning this bet, the payout is provided at just 1:1.
- Red or Black Bets: Same as betting on odd/even numbers, this kind of bet is also one with an almost 50% chance of winning. Simply place your chip on the Red slot if you think a red number will come up, or on the Black slot if you think a black number will come up. Owing to the probability, the payout for this is also 1:1.
- Low or High Bets: Lastly, in this kind of outside bet, you bet on whether the number that comes up on the wheel will be a low number or a high number. Low numbers are numbers from 1 to 18, while high numbers are the remaining ones from 19 to 36. In French Roulette, you can find the slot for the low numbers being mentioned as “1-18” or named as “Manque.” Similarly, the high numbers would be mentioned as “19-36” or named as “Passe.” The payout for this bet is also at 1:1 owing to the almost 50% winning probability.
How to Play Casino Roulette: Game Rules to Follow
Now that you know all there is to know about the table and the way you place your bets on the table, it is time to get into understanding how the game is played.
Step 1: Placing the Bets
The game begins with all the players placing their bets on their desired slots. Whether you would like to place the bets on the inside grid or the outside non-numerical slots, choose your bets carefully and place the chips wherever you want to.
Step 2: Spinning the Wheel
Once all players have placed their bets, the dealer will call out “no more bets” to signal that no further bets can be placed from that point forward. After this, the dealer or the croupier spins the wheel in one direction. The ball is then released onto the wheel but in the opposite direction.
Step 3: Determining the Winners
Once the wheel and the ball both start slowing down, the ball settles in a specific slot. This slot becomes the winner of the spin. Accordingly, those who placed inside or outside bets on the number get their winnings based on the specified payout for the bet type.
In case you have placed a bet on a numerical or non-numerical slot that does not match the winning number in any way, then you lose your wager to the house.
Strategies to Help You Win
While there is no way to predict beforehand which number the ball will stop on, there are ways in which you can increase your chances of winning. And that can be done with the help of some ingenious strategies, which can significantly improve the way how Roulette is played. So, here are 4 strategies that can help you earn more on your next trip to the Roulette table.
Martingale is one of the easiest and most popular strategies when it comes to Roulette. The strategy basically involves you to keep doubling your bets on every loss till you reach a win, in which case the bet resets to the initial wager amount.
For instance, imagine you are betting $1 on your first spin. If you win the bet, then you win the payout and the bet remains at $1 for the next spin. However, if you lose, the bet doubles to $2. If you lose in the next spin as well, then it would double to $4, and keep doubling at $8, $16, $32, and so on for every loss faced. When you ultimately do end up winning in a spin, then you earn your winnings and then the bet returns to the original bet of $1.
The basic idea behind this strategy is that losing streaks are common in Roulette and that you can use these streaks to keep building up the wager. Building it up will also give you a significant amount that, once you win the spin, will help you cover the losses you incurred till that point. However, since there is no guarantee of when you will win, this strategy is best played when you have a considerably large bankroll with you.
Parlay or Reverse Martingale Strategy
Parlay, or Reverse Martingale strategy, is the exact opposite of the Martingale Strategy. As per this strategy, you keep building your wager for every win, and revert to the original wager when you face a loss. Considering the ideology that games of Roulette are won in streaks, be it wins or losses, this strategy allows you to bet more on wins and less on losses. In this case, much like the Martingale strategy, you will need a considerable bankroll. However, another thing you need to consider is that since losses are more common in Roulette, you may not get the opportunity to build upon your wager like you would do in Martingale. So, this is not the ideal strategy if you get discouraged by losses easily.
Much like the Martingale strategy, this strategy is another one that follows the concept of building on your wager and is ideal for even-money payouts. The only distinguishing factor is how the wager is built upon. For the D’Alembert Strategy, you first need to start by determining units of your wager. The first bet will be worth 5 of these units and for each losing spin, 1 unit is added to the total wager. In the case of a win, 1 unit is reduced from the total and this pattern continues.
For instance, if you have determined a single unit to be $1, then the first bet has to be 5 times this unit, making the first wager as $5. Now, if you lose the spin, then your bet becomes $6 by adding 1 unit. This keeps on repeating on every loss till you get a win. So, if you get a winning spin at, say, $12, then the next bet will be $11. So, continuing this pattern, the betting and the game continues.
Labouchѐre’s Roulette System
The Labouchѐre’s Roulette system is a very systematic and neat way of organizing your bets. In this bet, you start by determining a goal regarding the amount of winnings you wish to earn from the game. Then, once you have determined the amount, you divide it up into small units that seem more achievable and manageable. It is ideal to write these units down to make it easier for you when you start betting.
Once that is done, you start betting by adding up the 2 numbers on the extreme ends. This number becomes your betting amount. Once you win this amount that you have written, you cross out the 2 numbers and the 2 numbers just inside of them become your new betting numbers. You then add these 2 numbers up and bet that amount for the next spins till you win. This pattern continues until you have earned your goal, at which point you may stop or start the system once again.
For better understanding, imagine you have determined a goal of $10. Now, start by dividing this goal into smaller units, such as:
1 – 2 – 1 – 1 – 2 – 1 – 1 – 1
Now, for the first bet, you take the numbers on the 2 ends and add them together to get your betting amount, which comes up to be $2.
1 – 2 – 1 – 1 – 2 – 1 – 1 – 1
Once you win your bet with 2 dollars, you cross out these 2 numbers and the next 2 numbers, which come up to a total of $3, become your new bet.
1 – 2 – 1 – 1 – 2 – 1 – 1 – 1
This pattern continues till all numbers have been crossed out, which means that you have earned your goal of $10.
One thing you need to keep in mind when using this strategy is that it relies on you getting wins, as you will just keep on wasting your money otherwise. That is why, this strategy is ideal for outside bets, that too those with an almost 50% chance of winning. Using this strategy for inside bets can be a risky move that leads to immense losses.
If you are looking for the best mix of luck and strategy in a casino game, Roulette is what you are looking for. A thrilling game of luck, and with a dose of strategy sprinkled in, it can be a game that truly has you in a hold because of how fun it is. So, if you are a newbie looking to enter the world of Roulette casino games for the first time and wondering, “how to play Roulette game?”, then this guide is sufficient to familiarize you with all the basics of the game. If you are an expert simply looking to brush up on your knowledge, then the strategies can help you improve your game even further. Regardless of your level of familiarity with the game, this detailed guide to the game is sure to help you find your bearings in the confusing but incredibly enjoyable world of casino Roulette. Simply follow the Roulette tips of remembering to be responsible and having a sufficient bankroll, and you will find Roulette to be the best way to have fun while earning some extra bucks.