Teen Patti is a card game much like Poker. It is played with a standard 52-card deck and involves three to six players. Each player receives three cards, and the game’s goal is to have the best hand among all participants or to bluff convincingly to make opponents fold.
Its simplicity and blend of strategy and chance make it a favorite gaming option, mainly in India’s social circles and casinos. Read on to learn the Teen Patti game rules.
Basic elements of the Teen Patti game
This is where the game’s action unfolds; players try to outwit their opponents and win chips from the pot. The table is a central element of the Teen Patti online gaming experience.
2. Playing cards
52 card deck
3. Card ranking
A (highest), K, Q, J, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.
Designate a dealer for the first hand. In subsequent hands, the dealer position rotates clockwise.
5. Hand ranking
The game follows a specific hand ranking order, from highest to lowest –
Trail/Three of a Kind/Set
Three cards of the same rank. For example, three Queens or three 5s.
Three consecutive cards of the same suit. For example, 3, 4, and 5 of Hearts.
Three consecutive cards of mixed suits. For example, 8 of Diamonds, 9 of Clubs, and 10 of Hearts. The highest sequence in cards is A, K, and Q.
Teen Patti Color/Flush
Three cards of the same suit but not in sequence. For example, 4, 7, and 10 of Spades.
Two cards of the same rank, and the third card is unrelated. For example, two Kings and a 4.
When none of the above combinations is formed, the hand having the highest-ranking card wins. If two players have the same highest card, the second-highest card is compared, and so on.
In the case of a tie, the player with the higher-ranking cards wins. If the hands are identical, the pot is split equally among the tied players.
Note that the hand ranking in Teen Patti may vary depending on the game’s variations. However, the hierarchy mentioned above is used in most versions.
6. Betting chips
Players use betting chips to place bets during the game. The value of these chips is agreed upon before the game commences.
The total amount of chips or money that accumulates in the center of the table during a hand is known as a pot. It grows as the players place bets and contribute chips during the betting rounds.
8. Blind bets
Before the cards are dealt, players make initial mandatory bets known as “blind bets” to start the betting round.
9. Betting rounds
This game consists of multiple betting rounds, during which players can see (bet the same as the previous player), raise (increase the bet), or fold (quit the hand). The betting rounds continue until one of the following conditions is met:
In some Teen Patti variations, a betting round may continue until all players except one have folded. In this case, the last remaining player wins the pot without showing their cards.
In most cases, the betting rounds continue until two or more players remain in the hand and have not folded. At this point, a showdown occurs, and all remaining players reveal their cards to determine the winner of the pot.
The betting rounds in the Teen Patti game online generally follow a clockwise direction around the table. The specifics of the betting structure can vary depending on the game variation being played and the table limits agreed upon by the players.
The players aim to gather as many chips as possible by making strategic bets and decisions during the game to win the pot, which is the ultimate reward for the highest-ranking hand at the end of the final betting round in Teen Patti poker.
11. Side pots
If multiple players stay till the showdown, side pots may be created if some players have fewer chips than others.
Bluffing is an essential element of the Teen Patti game, where players try to deceive their opponents into believing they have a better or worse hand than they actually do.
In some Teen Patti variations, players may contribute a small fixed amount to the pot before each hand starts.
These elements together create the excitement that makes Teen Patti a sought-after card game.
How to play Teen Patti?
- Before the distribution of cards, all players agree upon a designated boot amount or “Ante”, which is then collected from each player. This boot amount is the minimum stake that must be contributed to the pot.
- The dealer begins by shuffling the deck and then deals three cards to each player in a face-down manner, distributing one card at a time. The dealing sequence starts from the player on the dealer’s left and progresses clockwise. It is essential for players to keep their cards concealed from others during this process.
- Once players receive their cards, they place bets on the individual they believe holds the strongest hand.
- Prior to placing their bets, players have the option to bet blind, meaning they wager without seeing their cards, or bet after examining their cards. Blind players are those who bet without looking at their cards, while seen players are those who view their cards before betting. Bets proceed around the table as required.
- Also, players always have the choice to bet nothing and fold. By folding, players forfeit all wagering opportunities and lose the money they had previously contributed to the pot.
- To participate in a blind bet, you must place a bet into the pot equal to, but not exceeding, twice the amount already in the pot. If you happen to be the first player to bet, your wager must be at least equal to the boot amount.
- When a blind player places a bet, it sets the stake amount the next player must match or surpass. However, the stake amount is only 50% of the bet for seen players.
- A blind player can request a show if they desire to do so. This is known as a blind show, during which both players reveal their cards, and the player with the best hand claims the pot as the winner.
- Once the current hand concludes, the dealer position will change, and a new round of the game commences. Players place fresh blind bets for the upcoming hand, and the game continues with the new dealer overseeing the distribution of cards and betting rounds.
Know that bluffing is often strategically employed to mislead other players into making wrong decisions, thereby gaining an edge in the game. It can be used during betting rounds to make opponents fold or call based on false perceptions, enhancing the bluffer’s chances of winning the pot.
Teen Patti poker is played for its thrilling and social entertainment value. It offers a mix of luck and skill, making it engaging for gaming enthusiasts. However, responsible playing is always advised!